Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thailand day 4

Oh what a day! this is going to be probably my most interesting post yet! It's raining here on the morning of day 5, so I am taking some time to write about yesterday.

Day 4 was the day to head to the Phi Phi (pronounced PeePee) Islands. We'd heard good things, so we decided to go. We were picked up from our hotel at 7 am, and hopped a ferry for the 2 hour ride. It was a beautiful (hot) day out, and we just relaxed on the way there. We stopped to go snorkeling for a while, and it was my first time snorkeling. I thought I knew what to do, but every time I went under water, I kept inhaling water. As it turns out, for once it wasn't me, it was my equipment - I was missing some sort of one way valve, so it forced me to inhale water. Awesome. Once I got good equipment, it was a lot better. DZ says it was not the best snorkeling he'd done, but it was the best I'd ever done haha :-)

We continued to the main island and had lunch and walked around the many overpriced shops for a while before getting back on the boat to return to Phuket. The boat back, someone walked behind me as we were sitting with our legs dangling into the water. For some reason, he looked a little familiar, but I didn't think much of it. As we were still sitting there, he walked back, and I just started laughing. "Holy Sh*t" was what came out of my mouth. It WAS someone I knew. Basil M., who I knew from school and working in housing at GT. He was our our same boat! not just in the same city, but on the same freaking boat. I couldn't believe it. He was also the fist person I'd come across in all our time here so far that was from the states, and even so, he is living in Singapore, so I'm not sure if that even counts! Wow.

We also met and talked to a few people on the boat who were basically taking trips around the world. That is pretty cool. It's a long trip, and I certainly wouldn't be able to do something like that alone, and whoever I'd travel with would probably get sick of me WAY too fast to take a trip that long, so I'll have to continue taking my 3 week trips as often as possible to give friends and family a recuperation time from spending quality time with me :-)

When we got back to the hotel, Leah met a girl, Isabel who was traveling on her own from Sweden, so after dinner, she came out with us. We went to this bar that was called Crocodile I think, but the funny thing about the bar was that all the dancers were "Ladyboys" meaning that they all used to be men, but are now women. These were BY FAR the hottest trannies I'd EVER seen. No offense to any of my friends, but I definitely do not have any friends as hot as these ladyboys. I could not believe it. They all looked like models. I still can barely believe they were all once men. When I get a connection good enough to upload pictures, they will come.

After that, we got some ice cream and then walked the couple KMs back to the hotel and crashed into bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The snorkeling wasn't good at all; I guess it's just an over-touristy spot. They offered life jackets, but I declined - I've never been snorkeling in one.

But don't worry Mrs. J: I made both of your daughters wear life jackets.