Yes, I find myself again in an internet cafe. It houses both computers and a 24 hour travel agency, so we had to talk to the agent to get some things settled, and since we weren't hungry for dinner yet (even though it is 10pm now), we stopped off in the cafe. As much as I don't like spending my time on the computer, I know there is no way I'll be able to sort my pictures once I get home after 8 weeks of travel, so each time we stop at a cafe, I have been diligently naming every single picture I've taken. So far, I am at about 300 pictures that I haven't deleted. Everything is named. Let's hope I keep up on this. When I am not at cafes, I take notes in my journal to try to make sure every detail is posted so I can have a running history of this trip. This is more for my own benefit than for anyone else's, so bear with me.
Yesterday was our last day in Santorini, and we spent the day hiking to the top of a mountain to see an ancient city, and then hiking back down, eating lunch, renting a car and driving both to the red beach and to the lighthouse, watching a sunset, and coming home. Renting the car was quite the experience. None of us were too proficient in driving a manual, but the boys handled it pretty well (minus the few times they stalled or forgot to hit the clutch. The main island of Santorini looks like the shape of a backwards L, and the lighthouse is at the very bottom west point. It was like we were standing on the edge of the world. And for the third time since being on the islands, we saw another beautiful sunset. I couldn't have asked for a better first week abroad.
Today the ferry ride back to Athens took significantly longer than the one to the island. I suppose it was going against the current. We spent from 10am-7:30 pm on the ferry, but from 8-8:30 en route. Tomorrow we leave to continue westward in Greece to Delphi and Olympia, and finally end in Pireaus to take the ferry to Bari, Italy.
Friday, May 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment