Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Laundry

I am anal about my laundry. I do some weird stuff with my clothes.

One: I keep my closet in color order. that way, when I pick a pair of pants or a skirt I want to wear, I can go immediately to the matching color top section to find something to go with it. Either I have too many clothes, or I am anal.

Two: I pin my sock when I take them off. I pin the toes together with a safety pin before I put them in the laundry. That way, I'm already handling them, and when they come out of the wash, not only am I NEVER missing a match, but I don't have to match my socks! they're already matched. My dad takes this one step further by using baby diaper pins on his socks. They have a football or a duck or whatever on them, and the decor says something about his socks. When we were younger, he would get up before my mom in the morning and get ready for work, but didn't want to turn on the light to wake her. But the problem is that black, brown, and Navy look the same in the dark. So he knew if the pin had a football on it, the socks were brown. If it had a blue duck on it, the socks were blue, and if it had a soccer ball on it, they were black.

Three: I keep multiple baskets in my closet so that when I throw clothes to be washed, I sort them immediately. That way, I know exactly when I need to do a load of darks or lights, because they're already separated.

People think it's because I have OCD, but really I think it's because I am an engineer, and I want things to always be as efficient as possible.

3 comments:

Ethan T said...

That's pretty crazy, lady. I organize my closet by clothing type, which I guess is pretty normal. Sweaters stay together, jeans, polos, etc. I'm not so bothered by my sock pairings, though, since I really only have about 3 or 4 types of socks. Since so many socks can be paired with so many others, it doesn't really matter that a single pair stay together. In fact, half the time, they get thrown into the drawer as a big unmatched pile. I also used to fold my underwear, but there was an epiphany a while back when I realized there was absolutely no point to that.

I see it as my own little contribution to universal entropy.

Josh said...

Haha, well I can't say that I don't fold my underwear, the Marine Corps pretty well drilled into my head that everything must be folded.

However, I also am lacking in sock variety. I either have white socks (low, ankle, and crew) or black socks (dress or boot). There's some green boot socks in there too, but not that many.

As much shit as I give you for the sock pinning thing and will now give you for the different baskets of laundry (didn't know about that), I can appreciate the efficiency of the system.

Bela Naomi said...

I actually fold my underwear too. I am not sure why, but it just seems cleaner when I pull them out to wear them!