Well, it's been a while. A lot has happened since my last post. Mostly things that are probably not of interest to you, but since they're of interest to me, I am going to write about it.
I just returned from spending the long weekend in Pensacola. I went to visit Leah Weber, who if you haven't met her before, is a friend of mine from GT and has since joined the Marines and is right now stationed in Pensacola for flight school, etc. Anyway, Leah is one of the few people who gets (and laughs at) all my corny jokes - mainly because she makes the same ones, and there I am, laughing too. I have a lot of respect for her. It takes a lot of guts doing what she does, and being proud of it. I know I don't have the same kind of strength. She and another of her friends that is in the USMC with her, Josh, were talking on Saturday night about regular stuff that they do each day, and then they mentioned about how they've made their wills and who they left things to. It was an eerie conversation that I was sitting in on. I for one, rarely think about death, and when I do, it frightens me. It is a selfish fear as well. Of course I feel bad for people who might miss me, but ultimately, I think - wow. There are so many things I wish I could've done or that I could've done better. I don't want to die. And here they are, Leah and Josh, proud and seemingly fearless of how their future could turn out after training is over and they're deployed into whatever struggle the US is meddling into at the time. I'd just like to say that I am truly amazed and grateful that there are people like them, to stand forward, and protect the wusses like me. You guys rock (oh yeah, and if I learned anything this weekend, it's that the USMC is way better than Army, Navy, or the Air Force).
On a brighter note, the weekend was fun. It was a lot of fun catching up with Leah. We watched a lot of movies (and went to see 40 year old Virgin), read books, chatted, went to the beach and the pool, and really just relaxed. She invited over a few friends to hang out as we watched Georgia Tech upset Auburn at our season football opener, and I have to say, she did have a pretty cute friend join the crowd that night, so that was fun. Overall, it was nice to catch up. It's too bad Leah lives so far, because I like hanging out with her.
I've been spending random evenings with different friends over the past few weeks. It sure does take a lot of effort keeping in touch with people when you don't see them on a daily basis anymore. I hope I don't lose my network of friends because we just don't happen to run into each other. I'd like to think that I've built relationships that are stronger than that. But on the other hand, as I still have the opportunity to see people, others have left town and are starting new. I'm sure they're having a much harder time. It's been a weird transition from college to the real world for me. Maybe it's because I am still in town, and I can still cling to my old relationships for support, or maybe it's just that I really loved my time at GT, but I don't think I have really adjusted into the working world. I still feel like eventually this "semester" will end, and I'll be back in school.
Those are all my latest thoughts. I could think of something witty to put here, but I have nothing. I think my lack of social interaction is melting my sense of humor (or lack thereof)
Monday, September 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow bela, you make it sound so noble and i just thought it would be cool to blow things up. It was great spending time with you. I haven't laughed and had that much fun in a really long time. So thanks for coming down to visit and for keeping in touch.
p.s. a certain tall marine inquired about visiting atlanta.
Post a Comment